In the days after the Sauer Crossing of January 18, the regiment kept pushing up north. With the 1st Battalion in position 1000 yards southwest of the Friedhof Farm, the 2nd Battalion moved up to their right and had a stiff fight, taking the Friedhof Farm. E and F Company assaulted the objective in abreast formation, with G Company in reserve. Towards nightfall the farm was captured together with a battalion commander and his entire staff. Apparently the battalion commander’s communication system had been disrupted and he had been out of contact with his forward elements. (According to the 2nd Infantry Regimental History, they had captured the commander of the 208th Volksgrenadier Regiment.)

Map made by using original map attached to Combat Interviews

The 20th of January was another day of progression northward. F, E and G in columnar formation jumped off to take the Kippenhof Farm. Once again, this was a well-defended enemy strong point. “Kippenhof was one of those typical European farm buildings with concrete walls 18-24 inches thick, located on a slight rise commanding 400-600 yards of open ground between in and the nearest cover.” The enemy was disposed along a ridge line west of the farm and possessed commanding fields of fire. The regimental plan envisaged a small pincer on the farm with 1st Battalion executing the left thrust while the 2nd exercising pressure from the right. However, the 2nd was pinned by small arms fire from the farm.

“To get in position to bring Artillery fire on the enemy, Staff Sergeant Clemens G. Noldau, of Company F, crawled forward across the bare, snow-covered terrain. Advancing to a position of better observation, Staff Sergeant Noldau was killed by enemy fire.” S Sgt Noldau had been serving with the regiment since before the US participation in World War II.

The 3rd Battalion was then sent in with a platoon of tanks from A/737th Tank Battalion, moving up the Highway. The tanks swung off the road to the left and placed direct fire on the farm, allowing the 2nd Battalion to advance on the strong point at 1600. By this time, Company F was down to a 100 men. In total, twelve men were killed in action. It was their heaviest toll during the Battle of the Bulge.

Men of Company F who paid the highest price:

  • T Sgt. Archie Hendricks
  • S Sgt. Clemens G. Noldau
  • S Sgt. Stanley J. Szymanski
  • Pfc. J. C. Privett
  • Pfc. Nick L. Cordova
  • Pfc. Joel Gravett, Jr
  • Pfc. Arnold J. Wurm
  • Pvt. Alex Spieler
  • Pfc. Ferguson J. Oldag
  • Pfc. Richard F. Julius
  • Pfc. Charles H. Lawrence
  • Pfc. Stanley F. Przytula

Another three men of F Co are listed as KIA on the 21st for yet unknown reasons. By 2000 hours on the 20th, the Company was drawn back to Diekirch in the Bn assembly area and was reorganized the next day. There is a chance they were killed as result of the battle at the Kippenhof Farm.

Their names are:

  • Pfc. Carl H. Sebring
  • Pfc. Arthur L. Taylor
  • Pvt. Gus A. Cahrera

Sources Used:

  • Combat Interview with Capt. Robert C. Russell, S-3 of 1st Battalion. (NARA)
  • Combat Interview with Lt Harry Simmons Jr, S-2 of the 2nd Battalion. (NARA)
  • Unit History of the 2nd Infantry Regiment (NARA)
  • After Action Reports 2nd Infantry Regiment (NARA)
  • Morning Reports 2nd Infantry Regiment (NARA)
165 Total Views 2 Views Today
%d bloggers like this: